Forgoing my usual weekend ride in Bloomington, I spent today riding with my mother from Washington to Vincennes and back. This would be her longest bike ride totaling 45 miles. Congratulations to dear ol’ Mom on achieving this tremendous milestone!
After a restless night and a couple of friends bailing out, we left the house just after 8 a.m. We had many discussions about the designated route as I preferred the quiet back roads while she favored the large shoulder of the 4-lane US Highway. We each made some concessions and both got our way.
We took Old Vincennes Road to Wheatland, home of the infamous Satin Lady. Unfortunately I missed the photo op of this, um, “gentleman’s club” in the town of 504 people. From there we took the bypass, which is US Hwy 50, to Old US 50 finally reaching our destination. We took a short break in one of the city parks.
Resorting to Wikipedia again, Vincennes is the oldest town in Indiana with quite a robust history. Growing up in southern Indiana, I think it’s mandatory for students to read, “Alice of Old Vincennes” at some point in public schooling. The part I could never grasp was Vincennes Lincoln High School’s mascot—the Alices. What kind of cheers and threats could the Alices make to their opponents?
For the return trip, we took Old Wheatland road stopping for a bite to eat at the Small Town Crossing store. We finished the route by riding on Hwy 550 back to Old Vincennes Road to Washington.

Mom was strong through the entire ride and continued attacking each hill at the bottom. She’s an expert at using her momentum to get up any incline following a descent. Now if I can only work on her weaving…..
We took Old Vincennes Road to Wheatland, home of the infamous Satin Lady. Unfortunately I missed the photo op of this, um, “gentleman’s club” in the town of 504 people. From there we took the bypass, which is US Hwy 50, to Old US 50 finally reaching our destination. We took a short break in one of the city parks.
For the return trip, we took Old Wheatland road stopping for a bite to eat at the Small Town Crossing store. We finished the route by riding on Hwy 550 back to Old Vincennes Road to Washington.
Mom was strong through the entire ride and continued attacking each hill at the bottom. She’s an expert at using her momentum to get up any incline following a descent. Now if I can only work on her weaving…..
1 comment:
You and your mom could be twins! (aside from that age difference)
Post a Comment