Friday, June 27, 2008

Cowbell Challenge 6hour Solo


Randy and I drove to Davidson, NC last Friday in order to participate in the Cowbell Challenge which offered both 6 and 12 hour racing options; I entered the 6 hour solo and Randy the 12 (craziness). This event was held at Fisher Farm Park just north of Charlotte. The course was a mix of rooty, twisty, hilly, flat, rocky, obstacle ridden trail that amazingly flowed exceptionally well! Since NC is still technically in a drought, the trail was very dry and dusty. Mother Nature was threatening thunderstorms and rain for the day of the event which had me concerned due to the red clay soil and all of the roots. The course would've been treacherous had it rained. Thankfully, it was dry all day Saturday albeit hot and humid. The promoter made the decision to begin the race as a mass start rather than lemans (thank god). I made the executive decision to start toward the back of the pack since I was only riding and didn't want to hold any of the racers up. And while I intended to start toward the back, I did not mean to be AT the back! As soon as the announcer rang the cowbell to start the event, I began to move forward and found out that I should've placed myself more mid-pack. hindsight! It didn't really matter because I was there for a workout and to enjoy riding my mtb which I did. I learned a few things last Saturday. 1. I need to use my camelback. 2. Do not start at the very back 3. Prepare more water/gatorade bottles the night before 4. place the cooler in the transition area to reduce stop time 5. make sure to have 2 seatpacks available for both bikes. that way you don't have to switch them back and forth (so time consuming and a pain!). I'm sure there were more lessons learned but those are still burned in my brain! At the end of the day with 2 crashes under my belt -- I finished 7 laps in a total time of 5:14 (stops and ride time included); Approximately 49miles; and 1st 6hour solo female! That was a shock! I had no idea where I was in relation to the other women. I just rode at a pace that was comfortable and allowed me to have fun! I don't know how the pros keep going for 12 and 24 hours. Monsters! 6 hours/50m iles is enjoyable and enough time for me on my bike! Here's a link to our pictures: http://www.photoreflect.com/PR3/ViewAlbum.aspx?a=522707

No comments: