Randi and I were the lone longer option riders Saturday. Most people getting ready for the Little 500, and others at road races in Indy, and Angela was in North Carolina for the Knobscorcher mtb race (hopefully she’ll post about the race). We chose a route to Nashville and beyond (60 miles total). Into Nashville from the west, the hill on Helmsburg Rd caught us off guard. It hurt quite a bit! Not to be outdone, the ride was planned to go north up Bear Wallow Rd, which I believe passes one of the highest points in the state. It’s a long long climb, with some steep sections. I suffered silently most of the way, a few out loud expletives. Randi just kept riding. She says she was not feeling great, but she put the hurts to me. When we turned east to head over to Clay Lick Rd (a road never before ridden by either of us), we were thinking relatively flat, then a nice long downhill to the valley. But we were wrong, after some gently rolling, mostly uphill rollers, we hit Clay Lick. And yes, we did go downhill, but after a couple miles, we rounded a bend and before us loomed a Boltinghouse looking hill and I think we both started praying. It was a quiet climb, except for our heavy breathing. The top was so steep, when I stood up, my wheel spun a little, my quads screamed, and then begged for no more after we crested the top. Then finally the nice long downhill we waited for, where we had to put some mtb skiils to work, bouncing over the badly potholed section of the road. Up that annoying hill back into Nashville, then the annoying big hill out of Nashville. Then some (relatively) flat road. We were both thankful for some easy riding, which is funny, because we are both more suited to the hills, than the flats. South Shore hill (and Randi) has never kicked my butt more than it did Saturday. I got home and was pretty useless for the rest of the day. I did clean my bike though!
Sunday was supposed to be another road ride, but the HMBA site reported BCSP was ridable, so I headed out there. My legs were trashed from Saturday’s ride, but it was so great to be out on my new mtb on the dirt so I didn’t care. I didn’t wipe out, my skills were not terrible for my first trail ride in months, and I finished with a smile, sore quads, and a little mud from the few small mud patches. Even after the heavy rain we’ve had for a month, the trail was 99%+ dry, so what a treat! Rain is forecasted for Tues-Sun! ugh.
And today is another beautiful day. Sun and 70’s – our nicest day yet in 2008, and we are back to work this Monday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment